Sharing Our Memories ...

Monday, May 10, 2010

Makayla's Story

Makayla Johnston Cranford
Born: May 5, 2010 (3 days before May 8th due date)
Time: 8:30pm
Weight: 8lbs. 5oz.
Height: 20.5 in.
Apgar: 9

On May 5th Mommy & Daddy went to our regular doctor appointment at 4:30pm. Mommy had been having irregular contractions about one an hour since the day before. While in the car on the way to this appt. Mommy had the first strong contraction. Dr. Thompson measured Mommy at 4-5 cm and suggested we head over to the hospital. Contractions were about 7-8 mins. apart at this point. Mommy didn't want to spend hours upon hours waiting at the hospital so we decided to go home and see how things felt and pick up our suit case and feed Madison, Aidan and Caleb dinner. Upon arriving home to do this contractions were about 5-6 mins. apart and getting stronger on and off. It wasn't long until Mommy decided (although somewhat unsure) that it was time to go ... NOW :). So we arrived at the hospital between 6:30 and 7:00pm. We had to wait for Dr. Thompson to arrive (he was on call and currently at his son's t-ball practice b/c our "not so nice" original nurse told him that "this didn't look like labor" and questioned if this was my first child - argh!!). My water was broke at 8pm and the pitocin started then too. At this point I was determined to go all natural but not 100%. At about 8:15pm I kept questioning why I wasn't getting any break or relief between contractions - they were non-stop?! I was told I probably have about two more hours of labor to go so I demanded an epidural or anything to get some relief - well the nurse suggested she check me first and much to her astonishment Makayla was right there! I had probably been at 10cm for at least 5 mins. already. So two pushes later Makayla was born - a 30 minute delivery! They didn't even have time to take the bottom of the bed off - Dan still managed to get down there and deliver from the shoulders on down and cut the cord etc. Dan was great! He went from "my person" to delivering her to photographer all in ten minutes! The nurses were calling it the "fast and furious" delivery :). She was beautiful at first sight! Very long toes and fingers compared to the rest of our crew but perfect just like them :).
In the delivery room - right after being weighed.




Dr. Thompson and I posing while they cleaned Makayla up.
What a sweet angel! Truly a miracle!


Makayla meets her family - such an exciting time!
This may be her one and only time to have us to herself :).





Her "going home" outfit.

In the car seat getting ready to go home.

Off we go - yipee!









No comments: